sniff test of self recognition:
– Minimal Selfhood and the Origins of Consciousness by Rupert Glasgow, and discussions with the Author :
You can download the book for free here:
– Consciousness allows us to be aware of our surroundings and of our own inner state.
– Our consciousness is likely to have evolved from less complex forms, as a product of evolution.
#Minimal Selfhood and the Origins of Consciousness, 2018
#The Physical Evolution of Consciousness, 2018
#A Universal Definition of Life: Autonomy and Open-Ended Evolution, 2004 
– The original function of consciousness was probably to direct a mobile self that was short of energy to a fresh supply of food.
#Evolution of consciousness: Phylogeny, ontogeny, and emergence from general anesthesia, 2018
– Trichoplax adhaerens moves around haphazardly.
#Coordinated Feeding Behavior in Trichoplax, an Animal without Synapses, 2015
#Eyes on the prize: the evolution of vision, 2016
– The ability to remember things has emerged.
#Decisions and the Evolution of Memory: Multiple Systems, Multiple Functions, 2002
#The Evolution of Memory Systems: Ancestors, Anatomy, and Adaptations, 2016
– A sense of time is a big step on the ladder of consciousness.
#Temporal Consciousness, 2010